Hartford, Conn. Police Department’s Emergency Response Team members serving a search warrant were exposed to heroin and fentanyl when a distraction device apparently dispersed the powder into the air of the residence on entry. Eleven officers were treated at a local hospital.
Over 50,000 bags of fentanyl-laced heroin were found in the house. Fentanyl is 40 to 50 times more potent than street heroin and can kill through ingestion, inhalation, or even skin exposure. The Hartford officers immediately reported dizziness, nausea, and vomiting after securing the suspects. Team members were held overnight at the hospital for observation. All were subsequently released for duty.
This is yet another example of the ever changing dangers to SWAT operators. Meth labs, surveillance cameras, now hyper-toxic drugs. It used to be enough just to worry about armed bad guys. Stay safe and protect each other out there.
4 Responses to SWAT Officers Inhale Fentanyl