SWAT Officers Inhale Fentanyl

SWAT ThinBlueFlorida.comHartford, Conn. Police Department’s Emergency Response Team members serving a search warrant were exposed to heroin and fentanyl when a distraction device apparently dispersed the powder into the air of the residence on entry. Eleven officers were treated at a local hospital.

Over 50,000 bags of fentanyl-laced heroin were found in the house. Fentanyl is 40 to 50 times more potent than street heroin and can kill through ingestion, inhalation, or even skin exposure. The Hartford officers immediately reported dizziness, nausea, and vomiting after securing the suspects. Team members were held overnight at the hospital for observation. All were subsequently released for duty.

This is yet another example of the ever changing dangers to SWAT operators. Meth labs, surveillance cameras, now hyper-toxic drugs. It used to be enough just to worry about armed bad guys. Stay safe and protect each other out there.

Randall

This entry was posted in Officer Safety, SWAT. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to SWAT Officers Inhale Fentanyl

  1. Greg says:

    But would not many people consider that a fringe benefit bonus of the job, like standing down wind from a marijuana fire ???

    ( just kidding ) and of course there is no way to be truly sure what any LEO was inhaling at the time ; my attempt at humor . . .

    LEO’s are Society’s Bodyguards, Thank You for your SERVICE ! ! !

  2. Laura says:

    Perhaps if the Team had been outfitted with Morphix Chameleon Chemical Detection arm bands they would have known prior to entry!

Leave a Reply to Greg Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *